The Windows Research environment provides a space for research using the Windows OS with various research software. Some of the software is only available on the Windows OS, like ArcGIS and SAS. Different from the traditional departmental research servers, you will be the only one utilizing the resources on your Windows Research environment. You will be able to connect to your data on the Wharton HPCC environment as well as other cloud offerings like Dropbox. Another advantage you will have is that you will be given admin access to your environment to install any other research software you might need. If you are interested in using the Windows Research environment please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Windows Research Environment
The Windows Research Computing utilizes AWS WorkSpaces to provide a Windows Research environment for Wharton users. Currently we are providing the following specs for our users.
- AWS Workspaces PowerPro
- Intel Xeon CPU E5-2686 v4 @2.30GHz
- 32GB of Ram
If your research requires more powerful specs, please email email@example.com and we can accommodate those needs.
The following software are provided through our Windows Research Computing environment.
- Stata SE 16
- ArcGIS 10.7.1
- MatLab R2019a
- Office 2016
Also in the Windows Research environment, you will have admin access to your AWS WorkSpaces so you will be able to install any other research software you might need.
Connecting your Wharton VPN (FortiClient)
You no longer need Wharton VPN to access the HPCC environment from AWS WorkSpaces. Almost all the resources at Wharton should be accessible for you from AWS WorkSpaces but if you still need the Wharton VPN, here are the instructions below.
- Click on the white Windows logo on the bottom left of WorkSpaces then type ie. This should bring up Internet Explorer. Please open Internet Explorer.
- On Internet Explorer, please look to the top right corner and click on the gear icon then click on Internet options.
- Then on the Internet options popup, click on the security tab.
- You should then see Internet, Local intranet, Trusted sites and Restricted sites. Please click on Trusted sites.
- Then click on the sites button.
- Then under Add this website to the zone: add the following https://cpa-vpn.wharton.upenn.edu then click Add. Afterwards you can close Internet Explorer.
After these configuration changes you should be able to access the HPCC environment. To see instructions on how to connect to your data on HPCC please check out our page on Accessing other Cloud Storage.